Thursday, July 4, 2013

Food Storage Again

This week is a food storage week. We keep a decent sized, and variety of food storage so it's not that big of a deal. There are still lots of food options but of course it's 4th of July and we already made plans for company to come over. We keep burgers in stock, but we did just run out of hot dogs. All the condiments and toppings where in storage too, except for tomatoes. Then of course I needed hot dog and hamburger buns, something for desert, milk, eggs, and chips for a side. 

My Need List:
Hot Dogs, Hot Dog Buns, Hamburger Buns, Regular Bread, Milk, Tomatoes, Chips, Eggs


What I Bought:
Hot Dogs, Tomatoes, Chips

What I Made:
Hot Dog Buns, Hamburger Buns, Regular Bread, Milk

I'm sure you saw I made milk and started to wonder a little. Well you take some instant dry milk and make it according to the directions. If you drink skim milk you are probably done. If you have taste
buds and don't want skim milk dump the dry milk mixture in your existing milk. It will mix really well. For us I keep some half and half on hand for when we make ice cream and for making milk. For one quart of dry milk mixture I put in 1.5 cups of half and half. Gives it a good whole milk flavor and thickness.

The Original Recipe
Since I was going to be making so much bread I ground up some whole wheat to put with some store bought flour to make it healthier and make the flour go further. Once the wheat was ground to flour I made some sourdough bread for toast and sandwiches.

The buns, well I had to find a recipe. I found this one. As I was reading the comments I decided to
change it a little for what seemed to yield better results. It came out great!!! I may never buy buns again!

Here you go, a great and easy hamburger and hotdog bun recipe.



Perfect Hamburger/Hot Dog Buns
Oven Temp 425 F
Ingredients
2 Tablespoons Dry Active Yeast (Or Two Packets)
1 Cup and 2 Tablespoons Warm Water
1/3 Cup Oil
1/4 Cup Sugar
3- 3.5 Cups Flour

Hint- if you have a Kitchen Aide Stand Mixer you can do the whole mixing and kneading process in it with the kneading hook attachment. 

1) In a large bowl dissolve Yeast in Warm Water.
2) Add Oil and Sugar. Let sit 5 mintues
3) Add enough flour to make soft dough and knead for about 3-5 minutes.
Hint- for heartier rolls use 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour and 2 Cups White Flour. You can use more wheat flour but this is what I used. 
4) Let rise for 30 minutes.
5) Roll dough into 8 evenly sized balls.
6) Place on greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Flatten the balls slightly.
Hint- The size the dough ball is will be the size of your finished roll. If you are making giant burgers make giant roll. Of make mini rolls for sliders.
7) Cover and let rolls rest for 10 minutes
8) Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown
9) Remove from oven let cool for a few minutes. Then serve

For Hot Dog Buns just form your dough into long rolls. The bake the same amount of time and everything the shape is the only difference.

Next time we want to do hoagie sandwiches I might use this recipe too. It was just really yummy and soft :)

No comments:

Post a Comment